Cultural & nature tips for Schenna & surroundings
« to overviewThe gardens of Trautmansdorff Castle »
Church of St. George in St. Georgen
The church of St. George in St. Georgen is accessible from the Hotel Erzherzog Johann on foot (approx. 30 min), by bus (direct line) or by car. The Waalweg (old irrigation channel) also runs above St. Georgen and can be added to the walk. The church dates back to the 12-13th century. This original round church was once the chapel of the castle of St. Georgen, “Old Schenna”.
Half of the little church was practically destroyed when struck by lightning in 1591 and the structure was thus reinforced with a central pillar. The 14th century frescoes are well-preserved and portray among others the martyrdom of St. George, the Last Judgement and the legend of St. Nicholas. The Gothic altar depicts St. George on horseback fighting the dragon.
Worth mentioning is a rare depiction of St. Wilgefortis from the 17th century. According to legend, she was a princess from the Iberian peninsula who had made a vow of virginity. Her royal father, however, wanted her to marry, so in her grief she prayed that she would grow a beard that would render her repulsive. Her prayers were answered, but her father threw her into prison and had her crucified.
Of the former castle of St. Georgen, today only the keep remains, bearing the name “Ulenturm”.
The church of St. George can be visited daily from 10 am-12 am and 2 pm-5 pm, Monday to Saturday.