Cultural & nature tips for Schenna & surroundings
« to overviewChurch of St. George in St. Georgen »
Schenna mausoleum, located in the centre of Schenna, is just a short walk from the Hotel Erzherzog Johann. It was constructed between 1860 and 1869 from the plans of the Viennese architect, Prof. Maurice Wappler, as a burial place for Archduke John of Austria, his wife Anna, Countess of Meran, née Plochl, as well as for his son Franz, Count of Meran and the latter’s wife Theresa, Countess of Lamberg. The church stands on an artificial terrace on the western edge of the church hill and is one of the earliest and also undoubtedly one of the most attractive religious buildings in the Gothic Revival style.
The building was built of red sandstone and granite from the Ifinger area. The underground crypt chapel, with its heavy cross-ribbed vaults, is home to the marble sarcophagus of Archduke John and his wife.
The mausoleum is open daily.