Cultural & nature tips for Schenna & surroundings
« to overviewSchenna mausoleum »
Old Parish Church of Schenna
The old parish church of Schenna is located right in the centre of the town, within walking distance of the Hotel Erzherzog Johan. This Romanesque church was built in the 12-13th centuries and was completely transformed in the 16th century; since then little has been structurally changed. The Baroque high altar with its statues of St. Francis Xavier and Johann Nepomuk was constructed in 1730 and modified in 1819. Besides the four altars there are also valuable individual sculptures in the church, such as the late-Gothic St. Sebastian and the Baroque St. John the Baptist. The Stations of the Cross date from the mid-18th century.
Beautiful old frescoes were uncovered in the course of restoration work in 1975 and the statues were artistically restored. St. John's Chapel in the attached building to the south-east also has very well-preserved frescoes from the 14th century, discovered in the course of subsequent renovations in the 1980s, showing scenes from the legend of St. John and St. Pancras, the Wise and Foolish Virgins, evangelists, choirs of angels and other religious icons.
After the completion of the new parish church 1931, the church lost its original purpose and was used as a storage room and a rehearsal area for the choir. In March 1981 the church was reopened and re-consecrated. It now provides a fitting setting for smaller worship and prayer services as well as weddings. There is a 14th century marble relief in the adjacent sacristy depicting the coronation of the Virgin Mary.
Guided tours only
(Tuesday, 9.30 a.m. - booking at the Schenna tourist office).